Today's post was going to be an ode to my standby chocolate chip cookie recipe, the aptly titled 'Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie' from ElizabethBH on Allrecipes.com. It's a never fail recipe--and I love an excuse to make them, so a colleague's birthday seemed like the perfect opportunity.
But then this morning while I was baking, something happened. My never fail recipe...failed. Maybe it was the humidity, maybe my margarine was slightly off. Whatever the reason, the dough was a drippy, gloppy mess; there was no way I could shape it into individual cookies.
So I whipped out my 9 x 9 baking pan and my trusty can 'o' Pam, and voila! Blondies!
In spite of my last minute panic, the resulting treats turned out nicely. The bars are a little denser than a cake, but not as fudgy as brownies. They sliced up cleanly and transported well, too. And the flavour stays true to the recipe I know and love: mellow brown sugar, warm buttery vanilla, and a subtle saltiness that beautifully offsets the rich depths of the chocolate.
The only trouble? Since I don't know what caused the dough to malfunction, I'm not sure I could replicate the serendipitous conditions that created what I have affectionately named 'Accidental Blondies'. But you can try! Here's the recipe with my adjustments in italics.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (2.5 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I increased to a full teaspoon to offset the sweetness.)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (I used margarine instead.)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (Feel free to be generous!)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used 1/2 cup Skor chips and 1 cup semisweet chips.)
You know the drill. Combine dry, combine wet, smush it all around and add chips. I found a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes browned these perfectly in my square baking pan.
But in the meantime I've become suspicious of my old standby, the BBFCCCC. Here are some other recipes that look like contenders in the fight for best chocolate chip cookies ever:
- The photo on this recipe at Cookie Madness has my salivary glands kicking into overdrive.
- Break out the measuring tape for these giant chocolate chippers by Baking Bites.
- Okay, these ones have peanut butter, but Never Bashful with Butter promises to make us converts.
- If you're feeling virtuous, What's On My Plate says this recipe from Cooking Light tastes as good as the real thing.
Now I'd better go snag another Accidental Blondie before they go the way of the dinosaurs...